Impacts to criminal reporting in the state of Michigan:
April Of 2023 Moving Forward
An automated system for expunging convictions without the necessity of filing an application will be established.
Up to 2 felony convictions will automatically be expunged the later of 10 years after sentencing or the person's release from custody.
Up to 4 misdemeanors will automatically be expunged 7 years after sentencing.
- convictions for "assaultive offenses";
- convictions for "serious misdemeanors";
- convictions for offenses punishable by 10 or more years imprisonment;
- convictions that involve a minor, a vulnerable adult, injury or serious impairment of a person, death of a person;
- convictions that involve human trafficking; and
- any conviction that cannot be expunged under new MCL 780.621c.
Processes for identification and expungement of convictions eligible for automatic expungement are being developed by multiple state agencies.