There are two ways to dispute results.


Option 1:

We obtain information from public records sources. If you believe that the public record itself is incorrect, please contact the public agency directly to get the information corrected. As a third party, we are unable to do this for you. This includes expungements. If a record should have been expunged yet appeared on your background check report, we recommend you visit the free services offered at the Foundation for Continuing Justice.

Option 2:

If you believe the CoreScreening report is different from the public record information, we encourage you to complete the information below and provide us with as much detail as possible so we may expedite the reinvestigation. As a CRA, we report public record information only and do not make any decisions related to your employment, college acceptance, etc. You must contact the company/institution directly with any questions related to these types of decisions.